Friday, July 1, 2011

Slivovitz Cocktail

I just got back from a packed trip to New York City which included lots of family business and socializing, both leading to drink in one way or another. Here’s one I did on the fly when visiting some friends who invited me to make use of their bar. I’ve had slivovitz with them often over the years so it seemed apt to make a drink with it that evening. I pretty much did what would’ve been called a Fancy Brandy Cocktail in Jerry Thomas’ day. It’s actually fairly plain by modern standards unless you’re in the habit of taking your slivovitz neat.



Slivovitz Cocktail

  • 2 oz slivovitz
  • 1/4 oz triple sec
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Build over ice.
SOURCE: ROWEN, FOGGED IN LOUNGE

This should really have a twist, I guess, but it was one of those evenings when there was such a thing as too fancy.

4 comments:

  1. Never mind the fancy cocktail, that rotary phone steals the show!

    Is 8:1 your preffered ratio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey—what can I say? My friends have great taste.

    I’m not sure that I ever have a preferred ratio on these old evergreen cocktails like the various Fancy, Improved, Old-Fashioned, etc. I kinda just let ’em spin. Having used such a distinctive plum brandy here, I’m already thinking I’d like to tinker more and see what else I can bring out in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been forcing down Slivovitz at family functions for ages and never liked it much. I've finally learned that the Zuta Osa and Manastir brands are actually pretty good, and I tried your cocktail with some Zuta Osa the other night and it was the first time I've ever downright *enjoyed* slivovitz. I'm looking forward to trying it with some handmade bitters and an orange or plum garnish, then binge on 'em until this bottle of Zuta Osa is gone and I spend another few years waiting for it to turn up again at Binnys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swell! Very glad you like. And I will look for Zuta Osa myself.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.