Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Village Cocktail

Getting through a Tuesday seems to take a lot out of me, so when evening comes, I want the familiar comforts—the illusion that the world is the place I know.

The Village is my own idea of the 19th-century cocktail. Both its versions, pineapple (elegant) and raspberry (flashy), are fairly traditional, which leads me to suspect that these combinations of ingredients were hit upon many times by others in the age that it’s meant to accord with.

For me, it conjures evenings in old New York: Washington Square, Bleecker, Waverly, Christopher, Hudson; steak dinners, oysters, late night tipsy walks to the river in the winter wind; F. Scott Fitzgerald, Walt Whitman, and my Northeastern roots.

The Village Cocktail #1


2 oz rye
1 tsp curacao
1 tsp pineapple syrup
1 dash Fee Bros aromatic bitters
1 dash Peychaud bitters

Stir in a iced shaker and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

By Rowen, Fogged In Lounge

The Village Cocktail #2


2 oz rye
1 tsp curacao
1 tsp raspberry syrup
1 dash Fee Bros aromatic bitters
1 dash Peychaud bitters

Stir in a iced shaker and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

By Rowen, Fogged In Lounge

2 comments:

  1. Both of these sound scrumptious. However, about the Fee Bros aromatic bitters: On their website, I see "old fashion bitters." Is this the aromatic bitters to which you refer? I also read that their aromatic bitters are angostura (as opposed to the Peychaud gentian-heavy type). Do you only recommend Fee Bros for this drink, or would any angostura bitters do? You could probably write a whole blog feature (or a whole blog) about bitters, and it would be of great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm thinking of Fee Bros Old Fashioned, or their Whiskey Barrel Aged. Both versions have darkly sweet and Christmas-y spice notes, and I created the Village with this in mind. I've never tried Angostura in the Village, but it might be fun. Bitters is a favorite subject of cocktail bloggers. I know Kaiser Penguin and A Mountain of Crushed Ice (see links section) have featured some excellent posts on bitters, and I'm sure there are others.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.