Friday, June 17, 2011

Arnaud’s Special Cocktail

As I think I’ve said once or twice, I love scotch cocktails. Ever since I posted the Laphroaig Rob Roy, I’ve been looking for a similar drink to do with Ardbeg, another very peaty malt. This evening, I was leafing through Dr. Cocktail wondering what to do with my Dubonnet, and the Arnaud’s Special caught my eye. I’ve given it the peat treatment.



Ardbeg Arnaud’s
  • 1 1/2 oz Ardbeg single malt
  • 1 1/2 Dubonnet
  • 3 dashes Regans’ No. 6 Orange Bitters
Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail shaker. Orange twist.
SOURCE: ADAPTED FROM ARNAUD’S SPECIAL COCKTAIL, VINTAGE SPIRITS & FORGOTTEN COCKTAILS, TED HAIGH, A.K.A. DR. COCKTAIL

This was, at least in its original iteration, a signature drink of Arnaud’s Restaurant in New Orleans in the 1940s-50s. I’ve changed the proportions to balance the intensity of the malt. I tried it with Angostura Orange Bitters too, and a dash is ample.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.