Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gimme a Beet

Playing with the juice extractor again to make a Thanksgiving vegetable cocktail. I went to the nearby market that juices everything to look for ready-made beet or beet combinations, but you never know what they’ll have juiced on a given day. So I did my own bloody beets, as it were, and a Granny Smith apple as well. I’ve been thinking about the possibility of a snapper-type cocktail with beet and aquavit for a while now, and here’s a first try.



Gimme a Beet
  • 2 oz aquavit (Aalborg)
  • 1 1/2 oz beet juice
  • 1 1/2 oz fresh apple juice
  • 1/2 oz lemon juice
Stir with ice and strain into a old fashioned. Ice cube or two.
SOURCE: ROWEN, FOGGED IN LOUNGE

Nicely earthy from the beets and the aquavit’s caraway, and of course the color is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought beets taste like dirt and as such avoid them at all cost. Then again my wife thinks nutmeg (which I enjoy) tastes like dirt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting—I could see how someone would find them like dirt. They’re definitely earthy. Maybe that earth funk seems like minerals to me.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.