Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bronxathon: Old Tom Bronx

Here’s one of my own, though the inspiration of using equal parts gin and the two vermouths is from one by Billy Malloy that I found in David Wondrich’s Imbibe! Malloy’ s recipe sounds OK but not much like a Bronx to me with a mere barspoon of juice against all that vermouth. At any rate, I’m trying to work with the stuff and not hide it. I’ve upped the o.j. to a more usual amount. And I’ve used old tom gin, figuring that the sweetness might bring the elements together a little better.



Old Tom Bronx Cocktail
  • 1 oz old tom gin (Hayman’s)
  • 1 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin Rouge)
  • 1 oz dry vermouth (Dolin Dry)
  • 3/4 oz orange juice
  • 1 dash orange bitters (Fee Bros)
Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Orange twist.
SOURCE: ROWEN, FOGGED IN LOUNGE

This version is refreshing and has some complexity as well. The large measure of vermouth gives it a pronounced wine taste that plays off the sweetness and the orange aromatics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.