Thursday, July 21, 2011

Red Goldfish

Life at the Lounge is in no small part aquatic. There are all manner of piscine and amphibious creatures of all forms and sizes. (A couple of ’em are bipedal and merely drink like fish, but whatcha gonna do.)

I’m playing a lot with Campari lately. This drink strikes me as slightly Asian with its citrus, ginger and almond notes. The falernum and Campari together seem almost savory, taking the burn off the lime without adding much sugar.



Red Goldfish

  • 1 1/2 oz Cruzan light rum
  • 1/2 oz Appleton V/X rum
  • 1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
  • 1/2 oz oz Campari
  • 1/2 oz lime juice
  • few drops Peychaud’s Bitters
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
SOURCE: ROWEN, FOGGED IN LOUNGE

2 comments:

  1. I made the hell out of this thing. I used J. Bowman aged rum instead of the Appleton and used .3oz B.G. Reynolds falernum syrup instead of the velvet.

    It's funny, cuz as soon as the thing hit my tongue, I thought "savory" without remembering that that's how you described it.

    The sip is almost salty... it tastes like there's muddled tomato in the drink. The interplay between the falernum and Campari is fascinating. It's peppery. The bitterness is subdued, and I'd swear that there was orange juice in this if I hadn't known. Interesting mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah—ain’t it strange the way it does that? I guess I shouldn’t say this about my own drink but it’s a little like cocktail sauce. Kinda dig myself.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.