Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Gin Buck


Dr. Cocktail—where would we be without you? Well, I guess the answer is, boozed up, but less pleasantly so. The Gin Buck is a drink I learned from the Doctor. He mentions it almost in passing in the Moscow Mule article in Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails. A Gin Buck is a Moscow Mule with gin instead of vodka. I gotta say vodka has its points in cocktails, but gin is another story. I haven’t quite got around to making a Moscow Mule, but do a fair number of Gin Bucks. Light, bright, grownup, friendly. Here are the Doctor’s Mule instructions adapted for a Buck.

Juice of 1/2 a lime
2 oz gin
Ginger beer or ginger ale

Squeeze the lime juice into a double old-fashioned or collins. (Recipe says Moscow Mule mug. Probably there are no Gin Buck mugs, but I still hope. Maybe I’ll invent one.) Drop the spent lime shell into the glass. Add ice cubes and the gin, then fill with ginger beer.

Source: Ted Haigh, a.k.a Dr. Cocktail, Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails

1 comment:

  1. As someone who's not a fan of vodka, I will encourage you to make a Moscow Mule... there's definitely merit to it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.